As the perils of COVID-19 decline, the risks of “shadow IT” rise for companies of all types and sizes. And any technology strategy for a post-pandemic hybrid working environment must account shadow IT.
First, what’s shadow IT? Gartner says simply: “IT devices, software and services outside the ownership or control of IT management.”
Next, why is shadow IT risky? Here are three reasons gleaned from recent research:
- As many as 8 of every 10 workers may be practicing some form of shadow IT.
- Analysts suspect as much as 40% of an organization’s technology spending may occur outside the formal IT budget.
- Nearly 80% of employees acknowledge introducing unauthorized tech to their workflow is a significant cybersecurity threat (but they do it anyway – see #1.)
So, where will you see shadow IT? CompTIA’s blog cites common sources; here are three biggies posing problems of unnecessary expense and/or ineffective control:
- File Storage: Are employees using consumer cloud apps instead of back-up solutions vetted by IT?
- Email: Typical users have three addresses. One for business. Another for personal. Both supported by company tech in some way, increasing IT management, maintenance and monitoring requirements to some degree.
- BYOD Programs: Yes, bring-your-own-device policies save some equipment costs. But other costs – such as extending cybersecurity practices to personal hardware — may offset savings.
Now, how do you cope? TeamLogicIT Plano has services and support for that. Give us a call at (469) 573-3743 or go to our website teamlogicitplanotx.com to learn more.
TeamLogic IT Plano, a Team of IT Support consultants, offers premium IT services in the Dallas-Fort worth Metropolitan Area. Our IT services range from basic IT support to advanced security support for small- and medium-sized businesses. Contact TeamLogic IT Plano, one of the best IT Consulting Company in the Dallas-Fort worth Metropolitan Area.