As companies emerge from pandemic protocols, future operations surely will be “more remote, more digital, and more cloud-based,” tech columnist Neal Weinberg writes for CSO magazine.
So, your technology strategy for business continuity and disaster recovery (BC/DR) should evolve for these new conditions.
But, despite all the talk about today’s COVID-inspired “new normal,” updating your BC/DR program should be more about returning to IT management basics rather than re-inventing technical solutions. And fundamental descriptions are a good place to start this revision process:
- CIO magazine defines business continuity as “maintaining business functions or quickly resuming them in the event of a major disruption” – e.g., natural disaster, malicious cyberattack, viral pandemic, etc.
- While a BC plan considers the whole organization, disaster recovery planning typically focuses on restoring “IT infrastructure and operations after a crisis.”
What are the basics for refreshing BC/DR? Here are three steps for you from CSO and CIO articles:
- Analyze Impact – After a significant disruption like the pandemic, reassess BC/DR policy by conducting a thorough business impact analysis to determine its full effect on financial results, regulatory compliance, legal liability, staff safety, etc.
- Test Adjustments – Don’t just tweak BC/DR procedures, test future efficacy with physical drills and virtual simulations.
- Communicate Refinements – While your IT team learns new ways to respond to the next calamity, the rest of your organization must understand how adjustments effect the entire operation.
Want help with the analysis, testing and communicating of your business continuity review? Give us a call at TeamLogicIT Plano (469( 573-3743 or contact teamlogicitplanotx.com.
TeamLogic IT Plano, a Team of IT Support consultants, offers premium IT services in the Dallas-Fort worth Metropolitan Area. Our IT services range from basic IT support to advanced security support for small- and medium-sized businesses. Contact TeamLogic IT Plano, one of the best IT Consulting Company in the Dallas-Fort worth Metropolitan Area.