Security has slowly shifted from personal networks to the internet. The reason for this paradox is the convenience and efficiency of company’s transmitting sensitive, personal information over the internet. Unfortunately, hackers are getting smarter and bolder. The cost of disruption caused by breaches and the loss of important data can cripple a business and damage its credibility. That is why cybersecurity is the top priority for most business owners.
WHAT IS CYBERSECURITY?
Cybersecurity is defined as the protection of computer systems and networks from the unauthorized access, theft of or damage to their hardware, software, or electronic data, as well as from the disruption or misdirection of the technology services they provide. Wikipedia
WHAT ARE TOP SECURITY THREATS TO NETWORKS?
- Viruses –Viruses are the most common threat to network security and will remain the top attack vector. These are generally spread through file sharing, infected websites, and email attachments through the use of a document file. Because the virus remains dormant until the infected file has been activated, it is relatively simple to avoid from spreading by scanning questionable files with IT solutions like antivirus software.
- Fallout from Viruses –While viruses themselves pose a serious cybersecurity threat they can also make your network vulnerable to subsequent attacks. These attacks are referred to as back door viruses, due to them exploiting an opening created by another virus. Nowadays, most technology solutions like antivirus software takes this into account and protects your network from backdoor viruses as well.
- Ransomware –When this malicious code is downloaded, it can lock down any information and devices that are connected to the network. This is typically done by using an encryption key which prevents one from accessing the information or re-configuring devices. The encryption key is then sold back to the afflicted company for a ransom. It is recommended that one seek help from an IT support company, as it is extremely difficult to break the encoding.
- Phishing –Typically this is done through an email that requests personal information of some kind. Additionally, these emails may have some attachment that could compromise the security of your network on their own. The most effective IT solution is to have a company email policy dictating that employees never request personal information over email. This information security policy will then reduce the chance of employees or clients being victims of phishing attempts.
- Logic Bombs – A logic bomb is a piece of code, a set of instructions secretly and intentionally inserted into a software system, so that if particular conditions are met it will “detonate,” setting off and carrying out malicious functions that cause harmful effects. Examples may include corrupting the hard drive, deleting files, stealing data or taking the device over. It is best to contact a Managed IT service provider in Dallas and Plano to handle backup and recovery for this crisis.
- Software Vulnerabilities –Even if your network is secure, the software that is running on it might not be. Vendor security patches and updates are created at a rapid pace in order to address any security flaws the original software may have had. However, not everyone consistently updates their software with these patches. By not applying these patches consistently, your network is at risk from those security flaws. It is best to contact a network consultant to investigate these vulnerabilities.
- Cloud Attacks –Because of cloud storage, important information can be accessed and modified from a wide variety of devices. However, mobile devices are especially vulnerable to being infiltrated by hackers to access corporate networks. This is done through the use of malware specifically designed to crack cloud-based systems. One can address this by the implementation of an effective mobile use policy for your business through technology consulting.
- Malicious use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Since AI is globally on the rise, it is being learned and scrutinized also by cyber criminals. Presently, cyber criminals are utilizing automated bots to carry out attacks. Hackers are gathering an enormous amount of information about potential victims, including contacts and favorite sites. They can also employ automated tools to generate malicious emails and websites that are nearly impossible to protect. An IT company can assist businesses in defending themselves against these efforts by countering with their own AI-enabled tools.
- Social Media Attacks –Instead of directly targeting your network, malicious hackers may instead attempt to compromise a website or service that is connected to your network and allow malware to spread from there. This is typically done by attacking company social media accounts and services. The best defense for these attacks is to have a heightened awareness of the cybersecurity risk and to constantly remain vigilant.
- Third Party Attacks –While your network may be otherwise secure, cyber criminals can exploit contractors and third-party providers to create an opening. By doing so, they can cause major data breaches. This is why a company needs to consider who can connect to or access sensitive information. Guidelines need to be enforced for these entities or individuals to take appropriate precautions to ensure information security. Typically, these precautions would be outlined by company personnel and their network consultant.
- Unauthorized Access by Former Employees –Often, companies do not completely restrict the access that former employees have to the network. By not completely terminating the access former employees have, it leaves the door open for them to steal important information.
- DDoS (Denial of Service) Attacks –These attacks flood a site or service with so much traffic that the servers become overwhelmed and legitimate users are unable to connect as a result. While not as harmful as some other cybersecurity risks, these attacks can still reduce productivity and hurt sales as a result. This can be prevented through the use of DDoS protection software.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CYBERSECURITY TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS?
All in all, there is a myriad of benefits to having and using cybersecurity.
- Protects your business – The most important benefit of cybersecurity solutions is that a Managed IT Services provider can help with comprehensive digital protection to your business against viruses, worms, malware, spyware, and other unwanted programs which may cause serious threats to your system or network.
- Protects from data theft – Data theftis the act of stealing digital information stored on computers, servers, or electronic devices of an unknown victim with the intent to compromise privacy or obtain confidential information. It is best to contact a computer network consultant who can managed backup and recovery during this crisis.
- Protects from cybercriminals – Hackers are people deliberately trying to break into a website. One of the easiest attacks is called Distributed Denial of Service attack. This means the hacker overwhelms your website with traffic from all kinds of sources. If the hacker is successful, there will be a server down, the website will crash. Using tough passwords, changing passwords at least every week, clearing your browsing history, avoiding Wi-Fi, employing anti-virus protections, and working with an IT support company who has Managed Services are all critical measures that can help secure and protect a business.
- Reduces Website crashing – A Website going down could be from bots or actual people maliciously trying to hack into it. There are a lot of bots on the internet, and a lot of them carry virus software. They are like the insects of the internet. They crawl around the internet and try to find websites to break into. As a business, if your system becomes infected, there is a real chance that the website will be forced to shut down.
- Protects Personal Information – One of the most valuable assets in the digital age is personal information. If a virus is able to obtain personal information regarding your employees or customers, they are quite capable of selling that information on, or even using it to steal their money.
- Protects Productivity– Viruses can slow down personal computers to a crawl, and make working on them practically impossible. This can cause a lot of wasted time for your employees, and can often bring your entire business to a standstill.
- Rejects Spyware– This is mostly used for the stealing information and storing Internet users’ movements on the Web and serving up pop-up ads to Internet users. Whenever spyware is used for malicious purposes, its presence is typically hidden from the user and can be difficult to detect. A great cyber security IT solution by a Managed Services provider is one that prevents spyware from taking effect and ensures that your employees’ actions remain private and confidential within your workplace.
- Assesses IT environment – A comprehensive review of an IT company’s environment by a Managed Services provider needs to be undertaken because vulnerabilities and gaps within the infrastructure need to be identified. These assessments (system, network, security, compliance and regulatory) will provide a road map to set priorities and develop the remediation strategy to fortify your business.
- Concentrates on multiple solutions– The best types of cybersecurity for your business will offer comprehensive technology solutions to protect against a diverse range of issues. Ideally, your security must include a firewall setup, anti-virus, anti-spam, malware tools, email filters, wireless security and online content filtration.
- Consults with IT Experts– It might be unpleasant to hear, but most cyber criminals will have much more experience than your average employee when it comes to digital crime. By IT outsourcing with a great Managed Services company, the business owner can support the backup and recovery team with features and security in a business continuity plan needed to effectively fight against even the most determined criminal.
- Offers training – Human error is one of the top causes of system failure due to lack of education. All businesses, regardless of the size, must ensure all staff understand cybersecurity threats and how to mitigate them.
Recovering from a cyberattack requires a proper approach to remediate and restore lost or compromised data and return your systems to full operations. It needs to apply industry leading technology and procedures to return your company to normalcy, as quickly as possible.
If you like to learn more about Cybersecurity Services and a Managed IT company that can provide support and technology solutions for your business, check out the TeamLogicIT Plano website or give us a call at (469) 573-3743.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CYBERSECURITY SERVICES
WHAT DOES A CYBERSECURITY CONSULTANT DO?
A cyber security consultant assesses the weaknesses within computer systems, networks, and software programs. They figure out how to strengthen those vulnerabilities and prevent hackers from exploiting them.
WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD I ASK ABOUT CYBERSECURITY?
How do you identify potential risks and gaps in an IT infrastructure? How do you protect with best practices business security, protocols, and software updates? How do you detect threats to quickly avoid and mitigate risk? How do you respond via alerts and personal support when a cyberattack occurs? How do you recover to remediate and restore lost data systems to full operations?
WHY IS CYBERSECURITY IMPORTANT FOR A MODERN-DAY SOCIETY?
Modern-day society is driven by technology and global connectivity. Unfortunately, as technology makes advancements so do cybercrimes. Cyber security is important because it protects our sensitive data, personal health information, personal identifiable information, intellectual property, data, governmental and industry information systems from theft and damage by cybercriminals.
WHY IS PRIVACY AND DATA SECURITY SO IMPORTANT?
Privacy and data security are so important because if they are accidentally or deliberately compromised, and a business has failed to deploy appropriate protection measures, it may face fines and regulatory sanctions. Personal data and its privacy can be used to affect reputations, influence decisions, shape behavior, and control situations. And in the wrong hands, privacy and lack of data security may cause a business catastrophic damage.
HOW DO CYBER ATTACKS AFFECT BUSINESSES?
Economic cost and reputational damage are two impactful ways cyberattacks affect businesses. Financially, these include disruption to trading, loss of business or contract, and theft of corporate information, financial information, and money. Reputationally, it can erode trust in business relationships resulting in loss of customers, loss of sales, and reduction in profits.
Mohammad (Mo) Nilforoushan is a trusted Technology Advisor in North Dallas who has completed his BSEE from Cleveland State University and a MS in Solid State Physics from Bowling Green State University. He has worked as a Product and Test Engineering Manager for 15 years with RCA/Harris, Dallas Semiconductor and Texas Instruments. He was also Director of Operations at Microtune Inc. between 2002 to 2015. Mo started his own company, “TeamLogicIT Plano” in 2015 with a mission to deliver excellent Managed IT Services in Dallas and Plano, TX with innovation and updated technology. The TeamLogicIT Plano team, which includes his wife Kathleen Stewart (marketing/sales) provides excellent IT Support, Computer Services, Cloud Computing, Backup, and Disaster Recovery, with second to none customer service. Call us at (469) 573-3743 or contact our email PlanoTX@TeamLogicIT.com.